Re: Stupid VFS name lookup interface..

From: Casey Schaufler
Date: Sun May 26 2013 - 14:23:14 EST

On 5/26/2013 5:02 AM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 11:33:46AM -0700, Casey Schaufler wrote:
>> Now I'll put on my Smack maintainer hat. Performance improvement is
>> always welcome, but I would rather see attention to performance of
>> the LSM architecture than SELinux specific hacks. The LSM blob
>> pointer scheme is there so that you (Linus) don't have to see the
>> dreadful things that we security people are doing. Is it time to
>> get past that level of disassociation? Or, and I really hate asking
>> this, have you fallen into the SELinux camp?
> What part of the LSM architecture are you proposing be optimized?

Secids are an inherent performance issue.

This thread is all about a performance problem with
the security blob pointer scheme. I don't know what
would be better and general, but I'm willing to learn.

> The
> LSM layer is pretty thin, partially because the various different
> security approaches don't agree with each other on fairly fundamental
> issues. What sort of optimization opportunities you are suggesting?
> Are there changes that can be made that all of the major security LSM
> maintainers would actually agree with?

As you point out, the various existing LSMs use a variety of
mechanisms to perform their access checks. A big part of what
I see as the "problem" is that the LSM hooks grew organically,
at a time when there was exactly one project being funded.
By the time other LSMs came in to the mainstream we had a
collection of hooks, not an architecture. The LSM architecture
has not been seriously revisited since.

Can we come to agreement? I don't know. I expect so.

> I've been re-reading the thread on LKML which was spawned when SMACK
> was proposed for upstream inclusion:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/585903/focus=586412
>
> Have any of the arguments over the proper security models changed over
> or have gotten resolved over the past six years, while I haven't been
> looking?

I believe that Yama points to a serious change in the way
"operating systems" are being developed. The desktop is not
the sweet spot for Linux development, nor is the enterprise
server. Six years ago the Bell & LaPadula subject/object models
still made sense. Today, we're looking at applications, services
and resources. We don't have LSMs that support those* natively.
We are going to have new LSMs, and soon, if Linux is going to
remain relevant.

---
* SEAndriod is trying. We'll see where that goes.