broadcast arp messages and linux kernel

From: Mahmood Naderan
Date: Sat May 18 2013 - 09:32:18 EST

Hello,
Recently I have detected an IP conflict while my OS is redhat.
Searching for a solution revealed that linux kernel doesn't reply to
broadcast arp messages *at all*. As a result when someone asks "who has
ip A.B.C.D?", my kernel won't reply to that and the other host thinks no
one has that IP so there will be a conflict.

I also searched a lot to find why kernel won't reply to that but didn't find a clear answer.
Don't you think kernel should reply to those messages?

Regards,
Mahmood