Investigating lockups on Pentium D/SiS 661FX?

From: Mikhail Ramendik
Date: Thu May 16 2013 - 00:51:50 EST

Hello,

I have a SiS 661FX motherboard, which was perfectly stable with a
Pentium 4 CPU (with HT). But since I installed a Pentium D (no HT),
the system started to lock up several times a day. The system works
fine under load tests under Windows.

I have moved all processes to core 0 using /dev/cpuset in a scriptthat
I now run as init (I really onlyu need the second core for video
playback). The system got much more stable but still locks up for a
few minutes once in a while. For some reason it is more prone to
lockups when Transmission is running. I also noted that interrupts are
being handled mostly by core 1.

I could not detect anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/kern.log
for the lockup times.

The kernel is 2.6.32 but I tried 3.0.something too (everything
Debian-built). Nothing past 3.2 is available for this distro (Debian
squeeze) but I will do a compile of any required version with any
required config if necessary.

Is there any way I could collect more information so the reason could
be worked out? Any tests I could run to pinpoint whether it is indeed
a kernel issue and if so what kind of issue - perhaps I could run
tests without X started?

Thanks!

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

Unless explicitly stated, all opinions in my mail are my own and do not
reflect the views of any organization