Re: r8169 on 3.8.13, 3.9.2, 3.10-rc1, was Re: [ 00/73]3.8.13-stable review

From: David Miller
Date: Wed May 15 2013 - 19:16:00 EST

From: David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 13:39:13 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Francois Romieu <romieu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 08:14:01 +0200
>
>> Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop@xxxxxxxxxxxx> :
>> [...]
>>> Cc'ing to netdev because I don't think this has had a response, and
>>
>> A patch has been sent to netdev a few hours ago. It needs more work,
>> especially testing (hint, hint) as I don't have a proven test case yet.
>>
>> Please note:
>> - if you don't use a 8168evl (check your dmesg for the XID line emitted
>> by the r8169 driver), you are not the experiencing the same bug.
>> - if you don't enable Tx checksum offload (distro/vendor dependent though
>> disabled by default in the vanilla driver, see ethtool -k eth0,
>> ethtool -K eth0 tx on sg on)), you are not the experiencing the same
>> bug.
>> - if you are experiencing the same bug, 3.10-rc1 should work again
>> after reverting e5195c1f31f399289347e043d6abf3ffa80f0005
>>
>> If someone comes with a failing network capture and a working one, it will
>> save time. A 64 bytes (max) packet is not correctly transmitted.
>
> FWIW, I was about to submit the regression causing commit to -stable
> but now I'm going to hold off until we get the fix for it to Linus.

Oh, I see, someone merged it behind my back.

Well, guys, now do you see why I let patches cook in Linus's tree for a
week or two before I submit them to Linus?

It's so that bugs like this are less likely to propagate, and we find
them such problems and fix them before a change hits -stable and
therefore has an effect on an even larger number of users.

Please, use the networking -stable submission process. If you want a
patch merged, tell me, and I'll queue it up in patchwork.