Re: [v3.10-rc1] WARNING: at kernel/rcutree.c:502

From: Srivatsa S. Bhat
Date: Tue May 14 2013 - 03:54:21 EST

On 05/14/2013 01:16 PM, Srivatsa S. Bhat wrote:
> On 05/14/2013 01:08 PM, BjÃrn Mork wrote:

>>> The problem appears to be in the cpu idle poll implementation. You can trigger
>>> this problem by passing idle=poll in the kernel cmd-line as well, right?
>>
>> That sounded so obvious that it made me think "Doh, why didn't I just
>> test that before?" But unfortunately there must be some other factor
>> involved. No warnings observed during normal use when running with
>> idle=poll:
>>

> I didn't expect warnings with normal use.
>
>> bjorn@nemi:~$ dmesg|grep polling
>> [ 0.000000] process: using polling idle threads
>>

>> I expected a flood of warnings here, but there is none until I start
>> powertop (to confirm that the original issue is still there). So it's
>> more than just entering cpu_idle_poll().
>>

> Yeah, of course it is :-) The warning triggers only when you enable the tracepoint
> in the idle code. And in your case, powertop does that. That's why it only
> triggers when you run powertop. Alternatively, if you enable the tracepoint
> yourself manually, I bet you'll see the warnings, even without using powertop.

IOW, what I wanted to confirm with you was my theory that this problem has got
nothing to do with the tick_check_broadcast_expired() check. That check only increases
the probability of entering the buggy polling code during normal use (since nobody
uses idle=poll in the kernel cmdline usually). That's why I requested you to try
running powertop by using idle=poll, to rule out the tick_check_broadcast_expired()
check from the equation.

But now that you confirmed it, everything fits perfectly! Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat