Re: 3.9.0 + CONFIG_X86_INTEL_PSTATE=y -> ThinkPad T420 with i5 lostACPI functionality

From: Dirk Brandewie
Date: Mon May 13 2013 - 15:25:10 EST

On 05/13/2013 12:13 PM, Toralf FÃrster wrote:
On 05/13/2013 07:57 PM, Dirk Brandewie wrote:
cd /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu
mkdir bonic
echo 400 > boinc/cpu.shares
boinc &
echo $! > boinc/tasks

In many places of my scripts for automated testing I use currently the
"nice -n" prefix at my ThinkPad to keep a long battery life, quiet fan,
cool CPU. The CPU just runs with minimal frequency but will give
med/max. power on demand.

If the P-State governor will be the replacement the old behaviour -

the kernel menu config says "will become the perferred ... (sic!)
...scaling driver for Sandy bridge processors" -

is there a nifty user space tool which replaces "nice" and do all cgroup
stuff for the user ?

cgexec from the libcgroup-tools package (fedora name) look like it will place
a process in a group for you.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cgroups

Has some useful examples.

--Dirk