Re: [RFC 2/2] virtio_balloon: auto-ballooning support

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Mon May 13 2013 - 15:10:32 EST

On 05/13/2013 11:35 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:22:58AM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:

I believe the Google patches still included some way for the
host to initiate balloon inflation on the guest side, because
the guest internal state alone is not enough to see when the
host is under memory pressure.

I discussed the project with the Google developers in question
a little over a year ago, but I do not remember whether their
pressure notification went through qemu, or directly from the
host kernel to the guest kernel...

So increasing the max number of pages in balloon
indicates host memory pressure to the guest?
Fair enough but I wonder whether there's a way to
make it more explicit in the interface, somehow.

There may be a better way to do this, but I am really not sure
what that would be. What properties would you like to see in
the interface? What kind of behaviour are you looking for?

--
All rights reversed