Re: Build failures due to commit ea4054a2384 (handle huge number ofmodules)

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Sun May 12 2013 - 23:28:32 EST

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:52:09AM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
> Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Attached is a failing configuration for x86_64. Note that
> > drivers/staging/android/logger.c fails to build with this configuration,
> > so you have to build it with make -i to see the problem.
> >
> > Looking through my logs, it seems that the problem may be related to other
> > build errors. At least in my latest nightly builds there was always some other
> > build error when this happened.
>
> That would explain it. Perhaps some kind of race?
>
> I can't see this as a real problem, though.

It reduces the value of "make -i" significantly, as it creates lots of false
compile errors. If you think that is not a problem, fine with me. I can (and do)
filter the resulting errors from my auto-build scripts by now . That may cause
the scripts it to miss some real errors, but after all I can only do so much.
And it does seeem as if no one else cares, or maybe I am the only one seeing
the problem, so I guess you are right.

Thanks,
Guenter