Re: [Patch] MCE, APEI: Don't enable CMCI when Firmware First mode isset in HEST for corrected machine checks

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Sun May 12 2013 - 10:47:18 EST

And I was wondering why this is not reaching lkml. Fixed.

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:59:04AM -0700, Max Asbock wrote:
> I'll try to summarize the situation:
>
> We proposed two iterations of a patch that would parse HEST for a
> Corrected Machine Check entry and cause CMCI to be disabled if the
> Firmware First flag was found to be on in that entry.
> Several shortcomings of this approach were subsequently pointed out:
> a) Disabling CMCI doesn't go far enough. If the firmware wants to
> control corrected machine checks then we shouldn't even be polling the
> MCi_STATUS registers. Therefore we need to disable CMCI and disable
> polling if FF is set.
>
> b) The firmware may take over only a subset of the possible corrected
> machine check events. If we turn off CMCI (and polling) for all banks we
> may miss out on some types of errors. Therefore we should not
> indiscriminately disable CMCI on all banks.
>
> The question arose whether the APEI spec allows to specify individual
> machine check banks which fall under FF control. The answer appears to
> be 'possibly'. The Corrected Machine Check (CMC) structure defined in
> the APEI spec allows for a list of Machine Check Bank structures which
> could be used to designate a set of banks falling under FF control.
> However, the spec is silent on how the list of Machine Check Bank
> structures in the CMC structure is be used.
>
> Further steps in this endeavor may depend on the interpretation of the
> CMC structure in APEI an whether we can specify individual machine check
> banks that fall under FF control.

Right, so we need a complete solution where all FF banks are excluded
from polling. The question is, does the CMC table in APEI enumerate
*all* FF banks or we need to parse something else too.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.