Re: [RFC] next cycle fun: ->release() API change

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat May 11 2013 - 15:16:31 EST

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Because renaming really doesn't buy us anything but pain.
>
> Umm... I'd rather go the whole way and get rid of inode argument as well,
> while we are at it. It's completely redundant and it's unused in very large
> majority of the instances.

So? What's the advantage of removing it?

Also, "->close()" would be *exactly* the wrong name to call this,
since it would be absolutely and utterly misleading. "->release()" is
_not_ about close, and in fact the whole return code is partially due
to people thinking it is. It's "->flush()" that gets called at close
time.

Linus