AIX LVM support : block/partitions, kpartx, dmraid or lvm2 or ...

From: Philippe De Muyter
Date: Sat May 11 2013 - 11:11:35 EST

Hello,

I have recently written a read-only support for linux for AIX 3 & 4 lvm
disks, and submitted a patch for the linux block/partitions subsystem,
for which I have no feedback yet.

Now I wonder, as AIX LVM can describe mirrored and splitted logical
volumes, is block/partitions the right place for it ? It seems that
only contiguous partitions can be described. Am I mistaken ?
I looked also at kpartx, but it seems to me that kpartx has the same
limitations as block/partitions.

Should I rather make a patch for dmraid or lvm2 or some other tool I
am not aware of ? What would be the best place for that support ?

I have working code that can generate tables for dmsetup, and I know
there is some demand for AIX LVM and AIX JFS support in linux, but where
should I send it ?

Thanks in advance

Philippe

PS: Of course, AIX LVM support does only make sense if AIX JFS file systems
are supported. I have written read-only support for cwAIX JFSit also, and
I plan to submit it when I have a solution for AIX LVM, so that the AIX JFS
code can be tested by others.