high-speed disk I/O is CPU-bound?

From: David Oostdyk
Date: Fri May 10 2013 - 10:04:54 EST

Hello,

I have a few relatively high-end systems with hardware RAIDs which are being used for recording systems, and I'm trying to get a better understanding of contiguous write performance.

The hardware that I've tested with includes two high-end Intel E5-2600 and E5-4600 (~3GHz) series systems, as well as a slightly older Xeon 5600 system. The JBODs include a 45x3.5" JBOD, a 28x3.5" JBOD (with either 7200RPM or 10kRPM SAS drives), and a 24x2.5" JBOD with 10kRPM drives. I've tried LSI controllers (9285-8e, 9266-8i, as well as the integrated Intel LSI controllers) as well as Adaptec Series 7 RAID controllers (72405 and 71685).

Normally I'll setup the RAIDs as RAID60 and format them as XFS, but the exact RAID level, filesystem type, and even RAID hardware don't seem to matter very much from my observations (but I'm willing to try any suggestions). As a basic benchmark, I have an application that simply writes the same buffer (say, 128MB) to disk repeatedly. Alternatively you could use the "dd" utility. (For these benchmarks, I set /proc/sys/vm/dirty_bytes to 512M or lower, since these systems have a lot of RAM.)

The basic observations are:

1. "single-threaded" writes, either a file on the mounted filesystem or with a "dd" to the raw RAID device, seem to be limited to 1200-1400MB/sec. These numbers vary slightly based on whether TurboBoost is affecting the writing process or not. "top" will show this process running at 100% CPU.

2. With two benchmarks running on the same device, I see aggregate write speeds of up to ~2.4GB/sec, which is closer to what I'd expect the drives of being able to deliver. This can either be with two applications writing to separate files on the same mounted file system, or two separate "dd" applications writing to distinct locations on the raw device. (Increasing the number of writers beyond two does not seem to increase aggregate performance; "top" will show both processes running at perhaps 80% CPU).

3. I haven't been able to find any tricks (lio_listio, multiple threads writing to distinct file offsets, etc) that seem to deliver higher write speeds when writing to a single file. (This might be xfs-specific, though)

4. Cheap tricks like making a software RAID0 of two hardware RAID devices does not deliver any improved performance for single-threaded writes. (Have not thoroughly tested this configuration fully with multiple writers, though.)

5. Similar hardware on Windows seems to be able to deliver >3GB/sec write speeds on a single-threaded writes, and the trick of making a software RAID0 of two hardware RAIDs does deliver increased write speeds. (I only point this out to say that I think the hardware is not necessarily the bottleneck.)

The question is, is it possible that high-speed I/O to these hardware RAIDs could actually be CPU-bound above ~1400MB/sec?

It seems to be the only explanation of the benchmarks that I've been seeing, but I don't know where to start looking to really determine the bottleneck. I'm certainly open to suggestions to running different configurations or benchmarks.

Thanks for any help/advice!
Dave O.