Re: Kernel Firmware Support

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Fri May 10 2013 - 02:17:22 EST

On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 10:20 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > But yesterday, I got a message from a different user with screen
> > captures that showed failure of loading the firmware below.
> > Actually, one screen shot with the 7.0.23.0 and another with the
> > 7.0.29.0. Wasn't sure, so I had added all three of th 7.0.x group to
> > a test build of my kernels. Is only the latest needed?
> >
> > ./bnx2x/bnx2x-e1h-7.0.23.0.fw
> > ./bnx2x/bnx2x-e1h-7.0.29.0.fw
> > ./bnx2x/bnx2x-e1h-7.0.20.0.fw
>
> If you are supporting multiple versions of the kernel, that need
> different versions of the firmware package, then you need to include
> all of these to handle that properly.

The linux-firmware tree should include them all, hopefully. We don't
intentionally *remove* old stuff, since that would break old kernels.

Eventually we'll want a way for people to filter out firmware which is
only used by old kernels, when they install or package linux-firmware.
But for now you just get everything.

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@xxxxxxxxx Intel Corporation