Re: [RFC 2/3] mailbox: Introduce a new common API

From: Suman Anna
Date: Thu May 09 2013 - 20:24:29 EST

Hi Jassi,

> On 9 May 2013 06:55, Suman Anna <s-anna@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> so it can't be driven by the controller. We could make it a Kconfig option.
>>> What do you suggest?
>>
>> I am saying controller/link because they are the ones that knows how the
>> physical transport is, and it may vary from one to another. I would
>> think that the client dependencies would become a subset of this.
>> Kconfig option is fine, but we have to think about the best way of
>> representing it from a multi-platform kernel support perspective.
>>
> Actually it has more to do with clients and less with multiplatform.
> Even on single platform the client that needs biggest buffer will
> rule. Ditto on multi-platform.
> Anyways I get your idea. I'll put a note there to revisit once number
> of active clients increase on the platform.

OK thanks.

>>> Why is calling ipc_links_register() twice, for a controller with 2
>>> classes of links, a problem ?
>>
>> It will be inelegant, once you start maintaining the list of
>> ipc_controllers in the core code. You would have to search all the
>> controllers in the list with the matching name, and their links. You
>> will need to define multiple controller specific controller structures
>> and copy most of the elements from the actual h/w device into the
>> containing ipc_controller definition. As you said, the clients deal with
>> the links themselves, so making the ops part of the ipc_link definition
>> makes it easier on the controller implementations. You are anyway
>> caching the ops in ipc_chan (per link) and that is what you are using in
>> the core code. Majority of the time, you would be using the same ops for
>> all the links, but this gives the flexibility to links. You can avoid
>> having multiple controller instance denoting the h/w block, just because
>> of the difference in links behavior.
>>
> I don't see it as an issue, it's just how the code is designed on the
> principle that the API works only on links, not controllers. Let us
> wait for the driver of such a controller to show up. It should be easy
> to change if we see the need.

OK fine, I brought it up since we are defining the API, and defining it
the first time with flexibility eliminates the need later on.

>>> And, No, the API need not know if the link is "RX" or "TX", which is
>>> purely a logical function.
>>>
>>> Please do tell me which controller physically limits its links to do
>>> only "RX" or only "TX"? It's just the platform's firmware that
>>> dictates who sends and who receives on which link, thereby giving the
>>> illusion of a link being a "RX" or "TX" capable only.
>>> Even if some h/w limits do exist on links of some controller, still
>>> the API shouldn't try to discern a "RX" from a "TX" link. When a
>>> client knows which link to open, it will also know if it should read
>>> or write to it - this assumption already holds true. If the client
>>> writes on a link that it's supposed to listen to remote on, no amount
>>> of policing by the API could help.
>>>
>>> Even if the API tries to differentiate "RX" and "TX" links, the
>>> knowledge must come from a client (it's driven by the protocol on the
>>> platform), and not the controller because each of its links are
>>> physically equally capable to do RX or TX on each end.
>>
>> The API never differentiates, but the controller implementation has to.
>> From a controller driver implementation perspective, you still have to
>> make sure that no client is calling an op on which it is not supposed
>> to. When you have a mixture like this, a common code would include some
>> dead paths for certain links.
>>
> No, please. The controller driver should not implement any policy (of
> allowing/disallowing requests). It should simply try to do as
> directed. If the client screwed up even after getting info from
> platform_data/DT, let it suffer.

This would be the same as a client trying to misconfigure a link, you
cannot blame on a client screw up. The controller driver has to take
care of what it ought to check for in the startup.

>>> Already one call ipc_link_ops.startup() reaches the controller upon
>>> ipc_request_channel.
>>>
>>> Do you mean ?
>>> ipc_con_ops.startup();
>>> ipc_link_ops.startup();
>>
>> Yes.
>>
> And let the controller startup()/shutdown() upon every
> link_request/release?

Yes, and the controller driver can take care of any ref-counting or
whatever other logic it needs to maintain. You see this outside in the
previous mailbox code, but that is not the responsibility of the core code.

> BTW, I have seen my 2 controllers, OMAP, PL320 and read the dbx500
> driver. Unsurprisingly none of these have any use for what you call a
> special ipc_con_ops.startup(). Lets say if the call were there, what
> would the OMAP put in it?

Enabling the clock for the device. The clock is for the entire IP, a
link has no power/clock dependencies.

>>> No. You could call pm_runtime_enable/disable any number of times as
>>> long as they are balanced. The core does refcounting.
>>
>> Exactly, as long as they are balanced. I have two clients dealing with
>> two remotes (using two links) so pm_runtime_enable on the h/w block
>> needs to be called only when the first one comes in.
>>
> Actually you just gave another reason why the API messing around with
> controller's power state is a bad idea.

Where do you expect to power up the device (obviously this depends on
the SoC, and its functional purpose)?

> See how mailbox_startup() tries to balance mbox->ops->startup() and
> mailbox_fini() the mbox->ops->shutdown() That's very fragile and the
> cause of imbalance between rpm enable/disable, unless your clients are
> buggy.

Yeah, it is kinda messed up in the existing code, the startup defined
there is really for the controller and not the link, and that's why you
see all the ref-counting balancing logic. The rpm enable/disable being
called is on the controller's dev, not the link's dev - maybe that's
what confused you.

regards
Suman