Re: [git pull] more vfs.git stuff

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu May 09 2013 - 16:21:52 EST

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm. I get one more commit - a racy usbmon thing. Which looks fine per
> se, but would look even better if it just made mmap_active an atomic_t
> instead, wouldn't you say?

Oh, I see, the spinlock protects the read too and the logic there. Not
that I'm at all sure we care, since if that code races with somebody
else doing an mmap, there's a race at a much higher level anyway. So I
don't think the spinlock really gives any more serialization between
the reading/writing of that mmap_active count. You're going to get
either the old or the new value anyway, and an atomic will do that
too.

So whatever. I just don't want to pull stuff that gets me unexpected
patches that weren't in the pull request.

Linus