Re: Linux 3.9.1

From: Athanasius
Date: Wed May 08 2013 - 14:19:51 EST

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 10:50:20AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 08:22:45AM +0100, Athanasius wrote:
> > On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 09:10:10PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > I'm announcing the release of the 3.9.1 kernel.
> > >
> > > All users of the 3.9 kernel series must upgrade.
> > >
> > > The updated 3.9.y git tree can be found at:
> > > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git linux-3.9.y
> >
> > Usually I can:
> >
> > git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git master
>
> If you do that, you only get the master branch updated locally. Which
> tracks Linus's tree, not the different stable releases.
>
> > which means not having to update scripts/commandline history on each
> > major verison change, but this time I did indeed need to:
> >
> > git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git linux-3.9.y
> >
> > is this an intended change, or did you do something like forgetting to
> > merge into master on linux-stable ?
>
> No, I have not changed anything on my end, perhaps you never really were
> updating the different stable branches?

'uname -r' says I was. Also 'git log' for my v3.8 branch currently on
3.8.9 via the 'master' method does include at least the top few commits
listed on:

<https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/log/?id=refs/tags/v3.8.9>

Of course only having gotten to 3.8.9 a pull against linux-3.8.y does
see changes. Perhaps someone else, or a script on git.kernel.org was
merging into master before and now isn't ?

Anyway, if it's unsupported to pull from linux-stable.git master I'll
change my scripts.

--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/
Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key