Re: [GIT PULL, RFC] Full dynticks, CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL feature

From: Chris Metcalf
Date: Wed May 08 2013 - 14:14:51 EST

On 5/6/2013 3:32 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Paul E. McKenney
> <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think Linus might have referred to my 'future plans' entry:
>
> Indeed. I feel that HPC is entirely irrelevant to anybody,
> *especially* HPC benchmarks. In real life, even HPC doesn't tend to
> have the nice behavior their much-touted benchmarks have.
>
> So as long as the NOHZ is for HPC-style loads, then quite frankly, I
> don't feel it is worth it. The _only_ thing that makes it worth it is
> that "future plans" part where it would actually help real loads.

The work is very relevant to a lot of the actual customer applications
that Tilera chips are sold into: running very low latency userspace
applications that handle packet processing (or, to a lesser extent,
video frame processing). For packet processing in particular, you really
want to be able to guarantee that you can set up a core handling packets
in userspace and get NO INTERRUPTS at all, ever. If you do get an
interrupt, you end up dropping a bunch of packets on the floor.

We are still using code I developed internally for this (for the curious,
in my dataplane branch on kernel.org), but I expect in the relatively near
future we will be trying to switch to the NOHZ stuff instead. I'm
really pleased to see it start getting merged up.
--
Chris Metcalf, Tilera Corp.
http://www.tilera.com