Re: helping with tracking commits across repos

From: D M German
Date: Sat Apr 13 2013 - 14:01:47 EST

vinod>
vinod> On Fri, 2013-04-12 at 13:22 -0700, D M German wrote:
vinod> > Hi Everybody,
vinod> >
vinod> > I am professor of computer science at the University of Victoria
vinod> > (Canada).
vinod> >
vinod> > During the last year and a half, we have been trying to track the
vinod> > commits as they move in the entire linux git repos ecosystem. We have
vinod> > amassed a good amount of data that tell us for every commit (and in fact
vinod> > for every unique patch inside a commit) where it has been and whether it
vinod> > has reached linus or not ---or any other repository, as a matter of
vinod> > fact.
vinod> i see some of the commits shown not in linus tree, although they are...
vinod> perhaps a bug?
vinod> http://o.cs.uvic.ca:20810/perl/cid.pl?cid=765024697807ad1e1cac332aa891253ca4a339da
vinod>
vinod> It shows the same for linus's merge!
vinod> http://o.cs.uvic.ca:20810/perl/cid.pl?cid=cfb63bafdb87bbcdc5d6dbbca623d3f69475f118

Hi Vinod,

the tracking of the path-to-linus is something that is not done
automatically yet (I have to start the process manually, as there are
some issues I need to verify--it is a heuristic), but I plan to run it
automatically.

Nonetheless, it might be run once a day, so the commits of the day will
always be slightly behind.

One thing that will help me is that if any of you feel I am not tracking
your repository, please send me an email with its address.

thank you!

--daniel

--
Daniel M. German "Don't try to be like Jackie.
There is only one Jackie...