Re: [RFC Patch 2/2] mm: Add parameters to limit a rate of outputtingmemory error messages

From: Mitsuhiro Tanino
Date: Fri Apr 12 2013 - 09:30:36 EST

(2013/04/11 23:47), Naoya Horiguchi wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 04:00:12PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
>>> I don't think it's enough to do ratelimit only for me_pagecache_dirty().
>>> When tons of memory errors flood, all of printk()s in memory error handler
>>> can print out tons of messages.
>>
>> Note that when you really have a flood of uncorrected errors you'll
>> likely die soon anyways as something unrecoverable is very likely to
>> happen. Error memory recovery cannot fix large scale memory corruptions,
>> just the rare events that slip through all the other memory error correction
>> schemes.
>>
>> So I wouldn't worry too much about that.
>
> I agree.
> My previous comment is valid only when we assume the flooding can happen
> (and I personally don't believe that can happen except for in testing.)
>
> And for paranoid users, we can suggest that they set up mcelog script
> triggering to turn off vm.memory_failure_recovery when memory errors flood.
> Such users don't expect that memory error handling works fine in flooding,
> so just suppressing kernel messages is pointless.
>
> Thanks,
> Naoya

Hi Andi, Horiguchi-san, Kosaki-san

Thank you for your comments. I agree with your opinions.
I think that occurrence of uncorrected error is rare event, too.

I introduced a limitation feature using ratelimit in my patch in honor
of the previous discussion a half year ago. In the discussion, Andrew-san
threw a concern of a flood of uncorrected error for the patch proposed by
Horiguchi-san.

I think that ratelimit can be removed to output all "important messages".

I will try to resend patches sepalately,
one is for outputting error messages related to a corrupted file
and the other is for adding a panic knob to handle data lost of dirty cache
which is caused by both memory error and I/O error.

Regards,
Mitsuhiro Tanino