Re: drivers/base/core.c: about device_find_child() function

From: Federico Vaga
Date: Fri Apr 12 2013 - 08:09:32 EST

On Thursday 11 April 2013 06:48:44 Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 01:52:36PM +0200, Federico Vaga wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using the function device_find_child() [drivers/base/core.c] to
> > retrieve a specific child of a device. I see that this function invokes
> > get_device(child) when a child matches. I think that this function must
> > return the reference to the child device without getting it.
>
> No, it should not, otherwise the device could "disappear" at any moment,
> and the caller who had the handle, would now have a stale pointer.

I know, I am aware of this, but sometimes it *seems* that it does not
matter. (argument later [**])

> > The function's comment does not explicitly talk about an increment of the
> > refcount of the device. So, "man 9 device_find_child" and various
> > derivative webpages do not talk about this. The developer is not
> > correctly informed about this function, unless (s)he looks at the source
> > code.
>
> You are right, I would gladly take a patch adding that comment to the
> function, can you send me one?

Already sent.

> > I see that users of this function, usually, immediately do put_device()
> > after the call to device_find_child(), so it is not expected that a
> > device_find_child() does a get_device() on the found child.
> >
> > Immediately does put_device():
> > drivers/firewire/core-device.c
> > drivers/rpmsg/virtio_rpmsg_bus.c
> > drivers/s390/kvm/kvm_virtio.c
>
> That's correct.

[**] (argumentation based, obviously, on my limited understanding)

These drivers work like this:

child = device_find_child(parent, data, match_function);
if (child) {
put_device(child);
<do something unrelated with child>
}

In these cases we do not need to get_device(). But we need to know if there
is a child that match a rule. It can also "disapper" after the
put_device(child) but the driver continues on its way because it does not
use the child. For example virtio_rpmsg_bus.c:

/* make sure a similar channel doesn't already exist */
tmp = device_find_child(dev, chinfo, rpmsg_channel_match);
if (tmp) {
/* decrement the matched device's refcount back */
put_device(tmp);
dev_err(dev, "channel %s:%x:%x already exist\n",
chinfo->name, chinfo->src, chinfo->dst);
return NULL;
}

In this case, it does not matter to get_device(), the driver is interested
only on the child existence, it does not use the child.
Maybe it is wrong a driver that works like this. I mean, why retrieve a
child if you do not want to use it? This can be implemented also with
the function device_for_each_child() and return an error if a channel already
exist (-EBUSY).

The same argumentation for firewire/core-device.c:

revived_dev = device_find_child(card->device,
device, lookup_existing_device);
if (revived_dev) {
put_device(revived_dev);
fw_device_release(&device->device);

return;
}

This can be done with device_for_each_child() because it does not use the
the retrieved device. The function fw_device_release() can be done in the
function lookup_existing_device() when it finds the child.

Also the driver s390/kvm/kvm_virtio.c:

/* device already exists */
dev = device_find_child(kvm_root, d, match_desc);
if (dev) {
/* XXX check for hotplug remove */
put_device(dev);
continue;
}

Probably here, in a future patch XXX will be replaced with some code,
so it is correct to use device_find_child().

Now I'm thinking that device_for_each_child() is better in the above
cases. Am I wrong? Am I missing something? Which is the cleaner solution?

Anyway, my suggestion was more about the function name rather than its
content (again, I am aware that the refcount must be increased if I
work on the retrieved child). Because the verb 'find' does not imply the
verb 'get', so, a function named device_find_child() should not do
get_device() because it may not obvious for the reader. I think that
the name should be something like get_device_child(), get_child_device(),
get_child(), and for symmetry the user will do put_device() on the
retrived child. But I understand that for legacy reason it could be
better to continue use device_find_child()

> > Maybe bugged because they do not do put_device():
> > drivers/media/platform/s5p-mfc/s5p_mfc.c

Fixed with commit 6e83e6e25eb49dc57a69b3f8ecc1e764c9775101. I did not see
it before, sorry.

> > drivers/tty/serial/serial_core.c
> > Probably I'm wrong on this and I do not find the associated
put_device()

> I think the serial core is correct, but I'll audit it, the media one
> should be fixed as well.

I did not study serial_core, I was looking only for device_find_child().
Probably I'm missing something. Anyway, here what does not convice me:

(line number on next-20130412)
serial_core.c:2003
tty_dev = device_find_child(uport->dev, &match, serial_match_port);
if (!uport->suspended && device_may_wakeup(tty_dev)) {
if (uport->irq_wake) {
disable_irq_wake(uport->irq);
uport->irq_wake = 0;
}
+ put_device(tty_dev);
mutex_unlock(&port->mutex);
return 0;
}
+ put_device(tty_dev);
uport->suspended = 0;

serial_core:1936
tty_dev = device_find_child(uport->dev, &match, serial_match_port);
if (device_may_wakeup(tty_dev)) {
if (!enable_irq_wake(uport->irq))
uport->irq_wake = 1;
put_device(tty_dev);
mutex_unlock(&port->mutex);
return 0;
}
+ put_device(tty_dev);

> > They effectively need a get_device():
> > drivers/net/bluetooth/hci_sysfs.c
> > drivers/net/dsa/dsa.c
>
> Please fix these.

Misunderstood. They are correct. I meant: in these cases is useful to have
get_device() inside device_find_child() because they need to do something on
child device before putting it

child = device_find_child(parent, data, match_function);
if (child) {
<do something on child>
put_device(child);
}

In the previous email I forgot the following caller of device_find_child().
It is too complex for me to understand everything in few minutes; I just
looked in the file and around the function occurence.

arch/sparc/kernel/vio.c:335

static void vio_remove(struct mdesc_handle *hp, u64 node)
{
struct device *dev;

dev = device_find_child(&root_vdev->dev, (void *) node,
vio_md_node_match);
if (dev) {
printk(KERN_INFO "VIO: Removing device %s\n", dev_name(dev));
device_unregister(dev);
+ put_device(dev);
}
}

Otherwise the refcount of dev after this function will be 1, but I suppose
that the expected result is 0 (remove)

Thank you very much for your patience :)

--
Federico Vaga