Re: [RFC] rootmpfs

From: Lauri Kasanen
Date: Thu Apr 11 2013 - 13:30:21 EST

Rob Landley <rob <at> landley.net> writes:

> Attached is my quick and dirty hack to make rootfs be tmpfs when
> CONFIG_TMPFS is
> enabled. It can't be this easy or somebody would have done it in the
> _eight_years_
> since https://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/31/145

Hi Rob,

We've been using a variation of the 2006 patch in TinyCore for years. It's
a fairly essential piece for us, as using it can save several seconds of
boot time for us.

Since we run in the initramfs, to get size limits and swappability, we used
to tar the files and switch_root. Both unnecessary steps when the kernel
could directly unpack to tmpfs.

So consider this a +1 "we use this".

- Lauri