Re: [RFC 4/4] cputime: remove scaling

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Apr 11 2013 - 11:20:37 EST

On 04/11/2013 01:37 AM, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:29:21AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> I have a patch that does scaling by multiply for 64-bit architectures. I probably should clean it up and send it in. I need to see if it fixes this problem.
> Interesting. Could you attach draft patch, so I could look at it ?

It's just the trivial extension of the code already in kernel/time.c to
the 64-bit case.

However, it looks like in your case the scaling factor stime/total is
dynamic. This means that doing scaling by multiplication isn't practical.

I guess I don't understand what function the scaling is supposed to
serve there.

-hpa