[RFC] security: smack: add hash table for smack for quick labelsearching

From: Tomasz Stanislawski
Date: Thu Apr 11 2013 - 04:47:31 EST

Hi everyone,
I am a developer working on optimization of the TIZEN system.
Recently, I've discovered a performance issue in SMACK subsystem.
I used the PERF tool to find performance bottlenecks.

The test scenario was simple. Run multiple applications and
see what the system does using the following command:

perf record -a -g

Next, see the results with the command:

perf report -s symbol -g graph,0.5

Among the many lines, the following ones are especially interesting:

5.96% [k] smk_find_entry

|--5.06%-- smk_access
| |
| --4.99%-- smk_curacc
| |
| |--3.79%-- smack_ptrace_access_check
| | security_ptrace_access_check
| | __ptrace_may_access
| | ptrace_may_access
| | |
| | --3.78%-- mm_access
| | mm_for_maps
| | m_start
| | seq_read
| | vfs_read
| | sys_read
| | ret_fast_syscall
| | |
| | --3.19%-- (nil)
| |
| --0.71%-- smack_inode_permission
| security_inode_permission
| inode_permission

--0.89%-- smack_to_secid
smack_socket_getpeersec_dgram
security_socket_getpeersec_dgram

--0.54%-- unix_stream_sendmsg

4.63% [k] strcmp

|--2.16%-- smk_find_entry
| |
| --1.92%-- smk_access
| |
| --1.85%-- smk_curacc
| |
| --1.20%-- smack_ptrace_access_check
| security_ptrace_access_check
| __ptrace_may_access
| ptrace_may_access
| mm_access
| mm_for_maps
| m_start
| seq_read
| vfs_read
| sys_read
| ret_fast_syscall
| |
| --0.99%-- (nil)

--2.14%-- smk_access

--2.11%-- smk_curacc

--1.75%-- smack_ptrace_access_check
security_ptrace_access_check
__ptrace_may_access
ptrace_may_access

--1.73%-- mm_access
mm_for_maps
m_start
seq_read
vfs_read
sys_read
ret_fast_syscall

--1.40%-- (nil)

To sum up, the result indicates that the CPU spents circa 8% (2.16% + 5.96%)
of cycles searching for a SMACK label in the smk_find_entry function.
The function iterates through smack_known_list to find an entry.
The further analysis showed that the size of the list can reach even 600.
I measured that it takes circa 200 tries to find an entry on average.
The value was computed as a total number iterations in the smk_find_entry's
loop divided by the times smk_find_entry was called in a time-window of
the length of 10 seconds.

IMO, this is a serious performance issue which scales badly with
a complexity of the system.

I implemented a patch that makes a use of a hash table to quicken searching
for SMACK's labels. The patch is rebased onto the latest v3.9-rc6 kernel.
The code is thread-safe (I hope) because it shares the RCU mechanism
and locks with smack_known_list.

There is still some place for improvements like:
a) using struct hlist_head instead of struct list_head to reduce
the memory size of the hash table.

OR

b) use smack_known::list instead of introducing smack_known::htab_list
and modify all smack_known_list related code to iterate over
the hash table.

I decided to postpone the mentioned improvements for a sake of simplicity
of this RFC. After applying the patch, the smk_find_entry overhead was
reduced to mere 0.05% of CPU cycles.

I hope you find the measurement and the patch useful.
All comments are welcome.

Regards,
Tomasz Stanislawski

Tomasz Stanislawski (1):
security: smack: add hash table for smack for quick label searching

security/smack/smack.h | 5 +++++
security/smack/smack_access.c | 33 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
security/smack/smack_lsm.c | 21 +++++++++++++++------

1.7.9.5