Re: checkpatch: kill the bogus camelcase check

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Wed Apr 10 2013 - 11:19:25 EST

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 08:07:41AM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-04-10 at 16:52 +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:35:58AM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> > > or maybe exclude drivers/scsi and include/scsi/
> >
> > and arch/x86/kvm/emulate.c
>
> Actually, we get this all over drivers. Some of the problems are to do
> with the fact that the check is wrong, so it thinks things like this
>
> drm_core_has_MTRR
>
> are studly caps when they're not, but we have a lot of device
> programming manual driven studly caps in PCI, ata, ide etc ..
>
> We also have sanctioned use in mm, things like:
>
> SetPageReserved
> ClearPageReserved
>
> But the point still stands. When checkpatch warns about this, there's
> nothing that the person submitting the patch can do because the usage
> was already embedded into the file they're patching.

Ha, I hit the nail right on the head! :-) This is exactly the reaction I
was aiming at, with mentioning yet another file in the kernel where this
check fires.

Yes, excepting certain files is not a good idea.
Yes, the check needs to go away because it is plain wrong.

Even if its there, I keep ignoring it which makes checkpatch less useful
and trustworthy. So full ACK to the intent to either remove it or make
it a suggestion only.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.