Re: [RFC 2/2] initramfs with digital signature protection

From: Vivek Goyal
Date: Tue Apr 09 2013 - 10:40:37 EST

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 04:17:56PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

[..]

> >> Although both the early initramfs and the kernel are signed, building
> >> the keys into the kernel implies a static set of predefined public keys,
> >> while the initramfs could load, in addition to the distro keys, keys
> >> from the UEFI databases.
> >
> > Kernel already loads all the keys from UEFI database and MOK into module
> > keyring.
>
> Small point of order: there are patches to allow the kernel to do this.
> None of those patches are upstream.

Ok, thanks Josh. We had been talking about copying all the UEFI keys
(including dbx) and MOK keys, so I assumed that patches already went in.

So assuming all that will go in kernel (as it is required for module
signature too), does not look like we will benefit from signed initramfs.

Thanks
Vivek