Re: hangs on boot in 9984d7394618df9

From: Doug Anderson
Date: Mon Apr 08 2013 - 19:46:35 EST

Al,

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Folks, see if vfs.git#experimental works for you; the PITA had apparently
> been caused by change of open() semantics for /proc/<pid>/fd/<some_pipe> -
> it started to behave like a FIFO, i.e. wait for peer to show up. Normally
> that's not a problem, but if you have closed e.g. the write end of a pipe
> and try to open /proc/<pid>/fd/<read_end_of_pipe>, you'll get open() waiting
> for writers to appear. Which isn't what we used to do here (open succeeded
> immediately) and apparently that was enough to trip drakut.
>
> Branch head should be at 574179469f7370aadb9cbac1ceca7c3723c17bee.

That branch booted fine for me and didn't show any problems.

I wasn't easily able to merge onto linux-next and test there though.
I tried applying these the 4 top commits of your branch to
"next-20130408" and it didn't solve my problems. A full merge of your
branch to linux-next showed conflicts and I didn't dig.

-Doug