Re: [alsa-devel] [RFC] revoke(2) and generic handling of things likeremove_proc_entry()

From: Clemens Ladisch
Date: Mon Apr 08 2013 - 09:22:22 EST

Al Viro wrote:
> BTW, snd_card_disconnect() doesn't do anything to existing mappings; smells
> like a bug, and there we do have ones with non-trivial ->mmap(). Could
> ALSA folks comment?

I don't know of any hotplug sound driver that maps memory from a device.
All hotplug buses (PCIe, USB, FireWire) involve DMAing from/to main
memory.

When a sound device is unplugged, sample transfers just stop, but the
buffer itself stays as long as the device node is kept opened. (In the
case of a capture device, that actually makes sense.)

Regards,
Clemens