Re: [GIT PULL] AB8500 Power and MFD related updates

From: Samuel Ortiz
Date: Mon Apr 08 2013 - 05:46:29 EST

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 10:33:03AM +0100, Lee Jones wrote:
> > > The following changes since commit 6dbe51c251a327e012439c4772097a13df43c5b8:
> > >
> > > Linux 3.9-rc1 (2013-03-03 15:11:05 -0800)
> > >
> > > are available in the git repository at:
> > >
> > > git://git.linaro.org/people/ljones/linux-3.0-ux500.git for-mfd-and-power
> > I was expecting to get an MFD only branch (Basically what your for-mfd branch
> > looks like, and then the for-mfd-and-power one to be based on the mfd only
> > with the power patches applied on top of it.
> > Now, I have to pull the power patches as well, which is no big deal but not
> > ideal neither.
>
> Sorry Sam, I guess I understood you differently:
>
> "I can Ack the MFD parts, they look good to me. And then you can take
> the whole thing through your tree, but I'd prefer you to do so by
> pulling the branch Lee prepared for us. I want to avoid conflicts this
> way."
I realize this was not very clear from me, sorry.
I meant I'm fine with Anton taking the whole thing, but by pulling from what
is your current for-mfd-and-power branch. Anton did that and that's all good.
Now, to prevent being flamed to death by Linus, I need to carry the MFD
patches from this branch as well, and that should have come from a common
for-mfd branch.
Basically, what I had in mind:

- You create a for-mfd branch with all the MFD patches need for the
power patches to be applied properly.
- You create a for-mfd-and-power branch, where you first merge your for-mfd
branch and then apply the power patches.
- Anton pulls from for-mfd-and-power.
- I pull from for-mfd.
- Anton and me carry the exact same set of MFD patches and regardless of who
Linus pulls from first, it should work fine.

That should still work from your for-mfd-and-power branch, just slightly
less clean imo, as I will carry power patches I really don't need.

Cheers,
Samuel.

--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre