Re: Debugging COW (copy on write) memory after fork: Is it possibleto dump only the private anonymous memory of a process?

From: Vassilis Virvilis
Date: Mon Apr 08 2013 - 03:42:03 EST

On 04/06/2013 09:11 PM, Bruno Prémont wrote:
On Fri, 05 April 2013 Vassilis Virvilis<v.virvilis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Question
--------

Is it possible to dump only the private anonymous memory of a process?

I don't know if that's possible, but from your background you could
probably work around it be mmap()ing the memory you need and once
initialized mark all of that memory read-only (if you mmap very large
chunks you can even benefit from huge-pages).

Any of the forked processes that tried to access the memory would then
get a signal if they ever tried to write to the data (and thus unsharing it)

I can't do that. We are talking about an existing system (in perl with C modules) that has been parallelized in a second step.

If you allocate and initialize all of your memory in little malloc()'ed
chunks it's possibly glibc's memory housekeeping that unshares all those
pages over time.

Yes I suppose it is a series of mallocs. I could easily verify that with strace. However if glibc's memory housekeeping undermines the COW behaviour that would be very bad.

I have unit tests that I was able to work around the usual perl problems that cause memory unsharing such as the reference counting and hash accessing. Garbage collector shouldn't be a problem because there is nothing to collect from the shared memory, only private local variables that go out of scope. The problem is when I am employing these workarounds in the live system (with considerable IO) I am getting massive unsharing. So I thought to have a look and see what's going in two or three consecutive private memory dumps.

The point is I need to locate the source of the memory unsharing. Any ideas how this can be done?

At this point I could try in house compiled kernels if I can enable some logging to track this behavior. Does any knob like this exist? Even as an #ifdef?

Vassilis