Re: Beyond inotify recursive watches

From: Ramkumar Ramachandra
Date: Fri Apr 05 2013 - 12:57:24 EST

Jan Kara wrote:
> Hum, I have somewhat hard time to understand what do you mean by
> 'magically optimized syscalls'. What should happen in VFS to speedup your
> load?

In retrospect, I think this is a terrible hack to begin with. Tuning
the filesystem specifically for git repositories is inelegant on so
many levels, I can't recall why I ever thought it would be a good
idea. Like all software, Git has scaling issues with ultra-large
repositories. Too many stat() calls is just one of the problems:
there will be too many objects to do any operation at reasonable
speed, and the overall UX would just suck. Instead of growing to a
huge monolithic beast that spawns off worker threads for everything
and ultimately dying off, I've decided that git should take a
different direction: it should work with well with many small
easily-composable repositories. I've started work on this already,
and it looks very promising.

Let the filesystem people do what they do best: optimizing for all
applications uniformly.