Re: [RFC] perf: need to expose sched_clock to correlate user sampleswith kernel samples

From: John Stultz
Date: Wed Apr 03 2013 - 13:51:08 EST

On 04/03/2013 10:35 AM, Pawel Moll wrote:
On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 18:29 +0100, John Stultz wrote:
On 04/03/2013 10:19 AM, Pawel Moll wrote:
On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 17:19 +0100, John Stultz wrote:
But if we're going to have to do
this via a clockid, I'm going to want it to be done via a dynamic posix
clockid, so its clear its tightly tied with perf and not considered a
generic interface (and I can clearly point folks having problems to the
perf maintainers ;).
Ok, so how about the code below?

There are two distinct parts of the "solution":

1. The dynamic posix clock, as you suggested. Then one can get the perf
timestamp by doing:

clock_fd = open("/dev/perf-clock", O_RDONLY);
clock_gettime(FD_TO_CLOCKID(clock_fd), &ts)

2. A sort-of-hack in the get_posix_clock() function making it possible
to do the same using the perf event file descriptor, eg.:

fd = sys_perf_event_open(&attr, -1, 0, -1, 0);
clock_gettime(FD_TO_CLOCKID(fd), &ts)
#2 makes my nose wrinkle.
To make myself clear: I consider the code as it is a hack.

Forgive me for being somewhat ignorant on the
perf interfaces, but why is the second portion necessary or beneficial?
My thinking: the perf syscall returns a file descriptor already, so it
would make sense to re-use it in the clock_gettime() call instead of
jumping through loops to open a character device file, which may not
exist at all (eg. no udev) or may be placed or named in a random way
(eg. some local udev rule).

I'm open for different opinions :-)

Cc'ing Richard for his thoughts here.

I get the reasoning around reusing the fd we already have, but is the possibility of a dynamic chardev pathname really a big concern?

I'm guessing the private_data on the perf file is already used?

Maybe can we extend the dynamic posix clock code to work on more then just the chardev? Although I worry about multiplexing too much functionality on the file.

thanks
-john