Re: [RFC] perf: need to expose sched_clock to correlate user sampleswith kernel samples

From: David Ahern
Date: Wed Apr 03 2013 - 10:14:29 EST

On 4/3/13 8:00 AM, Stephane Eranian wrote:
What's the advantage of changing apps -- like the JIT compiler -- to emit
perf based timestamps versus having perf emit existing timestamps? ie.,
monotonic and realtime clocks already have vdso mappings for userspace with
well known performance characteristics. Why not have perf convert its
perf_clock timestamps into monotonic or realtime when dumping events?

Can monotonic timestamps be obtained from NMI context in the kernel?

I don't understand the context of the question.

I am not suggesting perf_clock be changed. I am working on correlating existing perf_clock timestamps to clocks typically used by apps (REALTIME and time-of-day but also applies to MONOTONIC).

You are wanting the reverse -- have apps emit perf_clock timestamps. I was just wondering what is the advantage of this approach?

David