Re: Excessive stall times on ext4 in 3.9-rc2

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 14:20:51 EST

So I tried to reproduce the problem, and so I installed systemtap
(bleeding edge, since otherwise it won't work with development
kernel), and then rebuilt a kernel with all of the necessary CONFIG
options enabled:

CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO, CONFIG_KPROBES, CONFIG_RELAY, CONFIG_DEBUG_FS,
CONFIG_MODULES, CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD

I then pulled down mmtests, and tried running watch-dstate.pl, which
is what I sasume you were using, and I got a reminder of why I've
tried very hard to use systemtap:

semantic error: while resolving probe point: identifier 'kprobe' at /tmp/stapdjN4_l:18:7
source: probe kprobe.function("get_request_wait")
^

semantic error: no match
semantic error: while resolving probe point: identifier 'kprobe' at :74:8
source: }probe kprobe.function("get_request_wait").return
^

Pass 2: analysis failed. [man error::pass2]
Unexpected exit of STAP script at ./watch-dstate.pl line 296.

I have no clue what to do next. Can you give me a hint?

Thanks,

- Ted