Re: [RFC] perf: need to expose sched_clock to correlate usersamples with kernel samples

From: Pawel Moll
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 12:34:58 EST

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 17:19 +0100, John Stultz wrote:
> I still think exposing the perf clock to userland is a bad idea, and
> would much rather the kernel provide timestamp data in the logs
> themselves to make the logs useful. But if we're going to have to do
> this via a clockid, I'm going to want it to be done via a dynamic posix
> clockid, so its clear its tightly tied with perf and not considered a
> generic interface (and I can clearly point folks having problems to the
> perf maintainers ;).

Hm. 15 mins ago I didn't know about dynamic posix clocks existence at
all ;-)

I feel that the idea of opening a magic character device to obtain a
magic number to be used with clock_gettime() to get the timestamp may
not be popular, but maybe (just a thought) we could somehow use the file
descriptor obtained by the sys_perf_open() itself? How different would
it be from the ioctl(*_GET_TIME) I'm not sure, but I'll try to research
the idea. Counts as number 4 (5?) on my list ;-)

PaweÅ