Re: UIO device tree bindings.

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue Apr 02 2013 - 08:51:48 EST

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 01:51:51PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Mon 2013-04-01 19:42:12, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> > Problem seems to be the notion that the proposed devicetree entry would not
> > describe the hardware, but its use. Not really sure I understand the problem,
> > as I would see the hardware description to be "A hardware device which is
> > compatible to and managed by the generic-uio driver". I would argue that
> > this _is_ a hardware description (if not, what is ?), but I am not the one
> > to make the call.
>
> Well... one could argue that having "generic-uio" in board's device
> tree _is_ wrong, but having driver that binds to "generic-uio" is
> not. Hmm?

You mean like "ata-generic" ?

> Or maybe we can do some magic with module parameter. That should be
> enough for expected use.

I don't think that would make a difference. I mean, just take ns16550 as another
example. No one has problems declaring some block of hardware addresses to be
compatible with "ns16550", even though it can be anything including a memory
block on one of the FPGAs or ASICs we are talking about here, it can be anything
but a NS16550, and many of the actual "compatible" strings are not defined
anythere either.

So there is no problem with "ata-generic" and "ns16550", and no one cares if
"fsl,mpc8349emitx-pata" or "xlnx,xps-uart16550-2.00.b" is defined or not, but
"generic-uio" together with "ptx,c64fpga001" is unacceptable.

I think it has more to do with the uio driver not being an actual driver, but
the kernel part of a user-space driver, though that is just a wild guess.

Guenter