Re: gpio-ucb1400

From: Mark Brown
Date: Mon Apr 01 2013 - 11:32:58 EST

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 01:06:43PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:

> My point was, the upstream gpio-ucb1400 driver in its current form is
> unusable (on top of being ugly.) I have no doubt that someone used that
> driver successfully in some external kernel tree, but the code that was
> merged upstream is incomplete and no good.

What the driver is doing is, unfortunately, the best practice for an
AC'97 connected device like this - we've got an uncomfortable mix of
an enumerable bus and platform data combined with a subsystem which has
never had enough love to work in a nice way with the kernel. The idea
is that any boards which have the device will call the _set_data()
function in their board-specific code.

Sadly we're a little short on volunteers to clean up the AC'97
subsystem so this situation shows little sign of improving.