Re: VFS deadlock ?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 21 2013 - 20:19:58 EST

Thinking some more..

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm. But again, that can't actually happen here. We're in /proc. You
> can't move the entries around.

.. this wasn't a good argument, because we will take the locks before
we do that.

> Also, we only changed the locking order
> for the "inode is identical" case where we take only *one* lock, we
> didn't change it for the cases where we take multiple locks (and order
> them topologically).

.. and this isn't a good argument either, because your argument was
that you can get the deadlock by always taking two directories, and
never hitting the alias case itself.

Hmm.

Linus