Re: VFS deadlock ?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 21 2013 - 20:01:53 EST

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So yes, it's against the rules, and we get that deadlock right now,
> but one solution would be to just allow this particular case. The
> patch for the deadlock looks dead simple:

It should go without saying that that whitespace-damaged patch is
entirely untested. But especially since we need to back-port whatever
fix, it would be good if we could make the fix be something as simple
as this. Because I don't believe we really want to backport some big
network-namespace reorganization.

This is, of course, all assuming that hardlinked directories are ok if
we can just guarantee the absence of loops. If there's some other
reason why they'd be problematic, we're screwed.

Linus