Re: VFS deadlock ?

From: Dave Jones
Date: Thu Mar 21 2013 - 16:36:47 EST

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 01:32:45PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > those are qstr's, so I used d_name.name, right ?
>
> Yup. And if you want to, you could do p1->d_parent->d_name.name too,
> just to make things obvious. It's technically racy, but by the time
> the bug happens, who cares?

I'll add that next time around if the current run doesn't turn up anything interesting.

> > I'd be surprised actually, I've got sysfs excluded from its list of victim files,
> > due to unrelated issues still unresolved. So unless it followed a symlink into
> > sys from somewhere in /proc or /dev...
> >
> > It took a few hours to reproduce last time, I'll increase the number of child
> > processes to see if I can trigger it faster now that I have the debug stuff in there.
>
> Hmm, ok. Do you have any network mounts or fuse or other "odd"
> filesystems etc? The whole "aliased inodes" thing might come from
> something like that.

at some point during the fuzz run, this happened..

Mar 20 15:20:41 kernel: [ 7578.784674] fuse init (API version 7.21)
Mar 20 15:20:41 systemd[1]: Mounting FUSE Control File System...
Mar 20 15:20:41 systemd[1]: Mounted FUSE Control File System.

I guess something wandered into /dev/fuse and did something. Not sure why
systemd reacted though...

Dave