Re: [ 12/75] USB: EHCI: work around silicon bug in Intels EHCIcontrollers

From: Alan Stern
Date: Wed Mar 20 2013 - 16:41:28 EST

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> > > Ok, I'll postpone this patch for the next stable release, in time for
> > > the fix to be put in at the same time.
> >
> > I think patch 13/75 ("USB: EHCI: dont check DMA values in QH overlays")
> > should also be postponed then, at least Alan said so in
> > <Pine.LNX.4.44L0.1303191125100.15684-100000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
>
> Crap, I didn't postpone that one, hopefully it doesn't cause as many
> problems...

I haven't tested this combination of changes, except in a highly
artificial setting (i.e., running the usbtest suite), so I don't know
how it will behave under normal use. In any case, it's too late to do
anything now except issue another -stable release.

I just saw that the "dont check DMA values" patch did get into the
3.0-stable and 3.4-stable releases. I didn't realize at the time, but
it shouldn't be in any kernel earlier than 3.6. I guess the best thing
to do is queue up a reversion for those two series.

Alan Stern