Re: Regression: Screen turns off when booting in EFI mode

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Mar 19 2013 - 13:09:29 EST

This is apparently still outstanding, and Mantas hadn't cc'd the
people involved with the commit itself.

Background: with UEFI, commit f9a37be0f02a ("x86: Use PCI setup data")
apparently results in a black screen for Mantas. The commit reverts
fairly easily (there's been a trivial change to the function since due
to dev->rom now being a proper phys_add_t), and considering that the
commit doesn't explain what the f*ck it is needed for, or what it
would help, I'm inclined to do just that.

Trusting firmware-provided values over the things we can find
ourselves is known to be fundamentally crap, so what the hell is the
point of that commit in the first place? The likelihood that firmware
messes up is pretty damn high. Why would we take idiotic "here's the
PCI ROM" data from firmware in the first place? What did this fix? We
know what it broke..

Doing things like blindly trusting the firmware data without even
validating it is a really really bad idea. The commit actually looks
seriously broken in other ways too, like blindly doing phys_to_virt()
on that, and then trusting the result

Mantas, mind changing that "pcibios_add_device()" function so that
instead of setting dev->rom/romlen, it just prints out the values
(including the device address)? Plase also make it print out the
"data->len" field in addition to the rom->xyz fields..

Linus