Re: LOCKDEP: 3.9-rc1: mount.nfs/4272 still has locks held!

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 07 2013 - 12:03:50 EST

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Myklebust, Trond
<Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The problem there is that we get into the whole 'hard' vs 'soft' mount
> problem. We're supposed to guarantee data integrity for 'hard' mounts,
> so no funny business is allowed. OTOH, 'soft' mounts time out and return
> EIO to the application anyway, and so shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Perhaps we could add a '-oslushy' mount option :-) that guarantees data
> integrity for all situations _except_ ENETDOWN/ENETUNREACH?

I do think we are probably over-analyzing this. It's not like people
who want freezing to work usually use flaky NFS. There's really two
main groups:

- the "freezer as a snapshot mechanism" that might use NFS because
they are in a server environment.

- the "freeezer for suspend/resume on a laptop"

The first one does use NFS, and cares about it, and probably would
prefer the freeze event to take longer and finish for all ongoing IO
operations. End result: just ditch the "freezable_schedule()"
entirely.

The second one is unlikely to really use NFS anyway. End result:
ditching the freezable_schedule() is probably perfectly fine, even if
it would cause suspend failures if the network is being troublesome.

So for now, why not just replace freezable_schedule() with plain
schedule() in the NFS code, and ignore it until somebody actually
complains about it, and then aim to try to do something more targeted
for that particular complaint?

Linus