Re: 3.9-rc1: hz.bc compilation breakage

From: Maxime Ripard
Date: Thu Mar 07 2013 - 10:55:20 EST

Le 07/03/2013 16:06, H. Peter Anvin a Ãcrit :
> On 03/07/2013 02:42 AM, Maxime Ripard wrote:
>>
>> I triggered this issue when switching to 3.9-rc1, and oldconfig runs at
>> that time, and now, running menuconfig doesn't generates it either.
>>
>>> I am not sure what you mean with "clean out-of-tree", however.
>>
>> make O=$(pwd) -C /path/to/linux/source some_configs
>> make
>>

> Can you give the exact set of commands you are running when you see
> this? I cannot reproduce this no matter what I do, and it doesn't seem
> like it is being a common problem.
>
> In the example above the first "make" command does indeed not create any
> files in include/config, but they get created immediately on the second
> "make"...

Hmmm, It looks indeed that it can happen only on already existing
directories, I can't reproduce neither with a new build, and not
everyone seems to be impacted by that bug neither, since some colleagues
did the same thing without any trouble (with a completely different
architecture though).

So it's not that bad.

However, when I do:

In my source dir
git checkout v3.9-rc1

In my build dir
ARCH=arm make clean
ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- make zImage

And then it breaks.

So I suspect it's something not cleaned properly, or not generated
properly. Here is what's left after the make clean

http://code.bulix.org/eh1e6c-83108?raw

Thanks,
Maxime

--