Re: workqueue panic in 3.4 kernel

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Thu Mar 07 2013 - 10:49:20 EST

(cc'ing Thomas, hi!)

Hello,

Lei is seeing a problem where a delayed_work item gets corrupted (its
work->data gets cleared while still queued on the timer). He thinks
what's going on is that del_timer() is returning 1 but the timer
function still gets executed.

On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 11:22:40PM +0800, Lei Wen wrote:
> >> If del_timer() happens after the timer starts running, del_timer()
> >> would return NULL and try_to_grab_pending() will be called which will
> >> return >=0 iff if successfully steals the PENDING bit (ie. it's the
> >> sole owner of the work item). If del_timer() happens before the timer
> >> starts running, the timer function would never run.
> >
> > If del_timer() happen before __run_timers() is called, while timer irq
> > already happen,
> > would it return 1 for the timer is still not detached in __run_timers()?
> > If it is possible, then we would call try_to_grab_pending(), so that
> > work->data would
> > be cleared in this way.
> >

> >> clear_work_data() happens iff the work item is confirmed to be idle.
> >> At this point, I'm pretty skeptical this is a bug in workqueue itself
> >> and strongly suggest looking at the crashing workqueue user.
> >
> > Also I am not very familiar with workqueue mechanism, how many place
> > in kernel would
> > clear the work->data beside the clear_work_data()?

Work item initialization and clear_work_data() are the only places and
from the looks of it you definitely seem to be hitting
clear_work_data().

> > From the memory, I cannot find any hint for work structure being destroyed.
> > So the only possible seems to me is the work->data be set by someone on purpose.
> >
> > crash> struct delayed_work 0xbf03d544 -x
> > struct delayed_work {
> > work = {
> > data = {
> > counter = 0x300
> > },
> > entry = {
> > next = 0xbf03d548,
> > prev = 0xbf03d548
> > },
> > func = 0xbf014b00
> > },
> > timer = {
> > entry = {
> > next = 0x0,
> > prev = 0x200200
> > },
> > expires = 0x12b638b,
> > base = 0xc0844e01,
> > function = 0xc014c7a0 <delayed_work_timer_fn>,
> > data = 0xbf03d544,
> > slack = 0xffffffff,
> > start_pid = 0xffffffff,
> > start_site = 0x0,
> > start_comm = "\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000\000"
> > }
> > }
>
> I captured a trace log, which shows my previous suspicion is true:
> __cancel_work_timer is called before delayed_work_timer_fn, so that
> work->data is cleared.
>
> And when __cancel_work_timer is called, the timer is still pending,
> so del_timer would return 1, thus no try_to_grab_pending would be called.
>
> But it is very strange that in __run_timers, it still get the same timer.
> Then its callback, delayed_work_timer_fn, would be called, which cause
> the issue.
>
> The detach_timer in __cancel_work_timer should already move the timer
> from all list, am I right?

Yes.

> Could it happen for the timer_list be queued twice, like queue over two cpu?
> If not, how could it happen?

I can't see how something like that would happen and still find it
quite unlikely this would be a generic problem in either timer or
workqueue given how widely those are used and your case is the only
similar case that came up till now (and 3.4 is a long time ago).
Thomas, any ideas?

Thanks.

--
tejun