Re: LOCKDEP: 3.9-rc1: mount.nfs/4272 still has locks held!

From: Myklebust, Trond
Date: Wed Mar 06 2013 - 13:37:38 EST

#4 is probably the only case where we might want to freeze.

Unless we're in a situation where the network is going down, we can
usually always make progress with completing the RPC call and finishing
the system call. So in the case of cgroup_freezer, we only care if the
freezing cgroup also owns the network device (or net namespace) that NFS
is using to talk to the server.

As I said, the alternative is to notify NFS that the device is going
down, and to give it a chance to quiesce itself before that happens.
This is also the only way to ensure that processes which own locks on
the server (e.g. posix file locks) have a chance to release them before
being suspended.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer