Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/5] Contiguous Memory Allocator and get_user_pages()

From: Daniel Vetter
Date: Wed Mar 06 2013 - 06:54:36 EST

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:48:36AM +0100, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 3/6/2013 9:47 AM, Minchan Kim wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Marek Szyprowski
> ><m.szyprowski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Contiguous Memory Allocator is very sensitive about migration failures
> >> of the individual pages. A single page, which causes permanent migration
> >> failure can break large conitguous allocations and cause the failure of
> >> a multimedia device driver.
> >>
> >> One of the known issues with migration of CMA pages are the problems of
> >> migrating the anonymous user pages, for which the others called
> >> get_user_pages(). This takes a reference to the given user pages to let
> >> kernel to operate directly on the page content. This is usually used for
> >> preventing swaping out the page contents and doing direct DMA to/from
> >> userspace.
> >>
> >> To solving this issue requires preventing locking of the pages, which
> >> are placed in CMA regions, for a long time. Our idea is to migrate
> >> anonymous page content before locking the page in get_user_pages(). This
> >> cannot be done automatically, as get_user_pages() interface is used very
> >> often for various operations, which usually last for a short period of
> >> time (like for example exec syscall). We have added a new flag
> >> indicating that the given get_user_space() call will grab pages for a
> >> long time, thus it is suitable to use the migration workaround in such
> >> cases.
> >>
> >> The proposed extensions is used by V4L2/VideoBuf2
> >> (drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2-dma-contig.c), but that is not the
> >> only place which might benefit from it, like any driver which use DMA to
> >> userspace with get_user_pages(). This one is provided to demonstrate the
> >> use case.
> >>
> >> I would like to hear some comments on the presented approach. What do
> >> you think about it? Is there a chance to get such workaround merged at
> >> some point to mainline?
> >>

> >I discussed similar patch from memory-hotplug guys with Mel.
> >Look at http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=136014458829566&w=2
> >
> >The conern is that we ends up forcing using FOLL_DURABLE/GUP_NM for
> >all drivers and subsystems for making sure CMA/memory-hotplug works
> >well.
> >
> >You mentioned driver grab a page for a long time should use
> >FOLL_DURABLE flag but "for a long time" is very ambiguous. For
> >example, there is a driver
> >
> >get_user_pages()
> >some operation.
> >put_pages
> >
> >You can make sure some operation is really fast always?
>
> Well, in our case (judging from the logs) we observed 2 usage patterns
> for get_user_pages() calls. One group was lots of short time locks, whose
> call stacks originated in various kernel places, the second group was
> device drivers which used get_user_pages() to create a buffer for the
> DMA. Such buffers were used for the whole lifetime of the session to
> [...]

See my other mail about how we (ab)use mmu_notifiers in an experimental
drm/i915 patch. I have no idea whether that's the right approach though.
But I'd certainly welcome a generic approach here which works for all
page migration users. And I guess some callback based approach is better
to handle low memory situations, since at least for drm/i915 userptr
backed buffer objects we might want to slurp in the entire available
memory. Or as much as we can get hold off at least. So moving pages to a
safe area before pinning them might not be feasible.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation