Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/5] Contiguous Memory Allocator and get_user_pages()

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue Mar 05 2013 - 14:59:54 EST

On Tuesday 05 March 2013, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> On 3/5/2013 9:50 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 March 2013, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
>
> The problem is that the opposite approach is imho easier.

I can understand that, yes ;-)

> get_user_pages()
> is used in quite a lot of places (I was quite surprised when I've added some
> debug to it and saw the logs) and it seems to be easier to identify places
> where references are kept for significant amount of time. Usually such
> places
> are in the device drivers. In our case only videobuf2 and some closed-source
> driver were causing the real migration problems, so I decided to leave the
> default approach unchanged.
>
> If we use this workaround for every get_user_pages() call we will sooner or
> later end with most of the anonymous pages migrated to non-movable
> pageblocks
> what make the whole CMA approach a bit pointless.

But you said that most users are in device drivers, and I would expect drivers
not to touch that many pages.

We already have two interfaces: the generic get_user_pages and the "fast" version
"get_user_pages_fast" that has a number of restrictions. We could add another
such restriction to get_user_pages_fast(), which is that it must not hold
the page reference count for an extended time because it will not migrate
pages out.

I would assume that most of the in-kernel users of get_user_pages() that
are called a lot either already use get_user_pages_fast, or can be easily
converted to it.

Arnd