Re: IMA: How to manage user space signing policy with others

From: Mimi Zohar
Date: Thu Feb 28 2013 - 15:30:37 EST

On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 13:51 -0500, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > That means in current scheme of things, multiple policies can't co-exist
> > together. It has few disadvantages.
> >
> > - If we want IMA to be central point for all integrity measurement
> > needs, then having one policy only is very limiting. The fact that
> > user can overirde that policy makes it worse as then kernel can
> > not impose any policy at all.
> >
> > IOW, if user enables user space signign in kernel, say CONFIG_BIN_SIGN=y,
> > then I need a way so that kernel can make sure IMA rules needed to
> > ensure integrity of binaries are present and can not be overruled.
> >
> > - Disabling policy can disable certain features in kernel. So in this
> > case if user overides default policy, it will disable binary signing
> > feature also (that too in a very unintutive way).
> >

> > One possible way could be that we allow execution of all the relevant
> > rules in a policy and return the ANDed results of all the rules. But
> > this does not go well with the result caching. Atleast current IMA
> > infrastructure does not allow it and might require overhaul.
> >
> > In general I am concerned about increased performance overhead if we
> > allow multiple policies to co-exist.
> >
> > Performance overhead is a concern even without multiple policies. For
> > user space signing, IMA hooks will be called for file operations like
> > open(), mmap() etc and we don't require those to be called. I am not
> > sure if performance overhead is significant or not. Once things start
> > working, I will do some benchmarking.
> >
> > But coming back to the point, how to go about making sure user space
> > signing policies can't be overridden if user has enabled user space
> > signing feature in kernel.
>
> Thinking more about it, even if something could be done where multiple
> rules (kernel and user specified one) could co-exist, I think there will
> be issues. One issue could override other in incompatible way.
>
> For example, one of the limitations of current IMA infrastructures is
> that it does not cover the case of somebody writing to thd disk directly
> (by bypassing the filesystem). If IMA has cached previous appraisal
> result, next time IMA will simply say file integrity is fine. This
> probably worked so far, but certainly does not work for my case where
> I want to verify file signature everytime and no result caching.
>
> I thought I could extend IMA rule syntax and mention that results of
> particular rule should not be cached. For example,
>
> cache_result = no
>
> So one could say
>
> appraise bprm_check appraise_type=optional cache_result=no
>
> But then an user space policy could overide it by specifying
>
> appraise bprm_check appraise_type=optional
>
> Or something simlar. And results will be cached and calling code will
> assume that signatures of binary are fine. But that's not the case.
>
> So we need few more things from IMA for it to support the case of user
> space signing.
>
> - Ability to make sure kernel specified rules can not be overridden.

Our posts must have crossed -
http://marc.info/?l=linux-security-module&m=136207944823661&w=2

> - Ability to not cache results so that direct writes to disk could
> be detected.

I'm not going to argue the futility of this argument. I'll leave that
to others more qualified. If you really are concerned, then be my guest
and define a general 'nocaching' option, not rule specific. Replacing
the policy won't affect the option.

> Till then I can't see how can I use IMA to implement process signing.

Vivek, you continue to imply that IMA doesn't cut it for your use case,
yet ignore my suggestions.

Mimi