Re: [GIT PULL] PCI changes for v3.9

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 26 2013 - 11:13:45 EST

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Yinghai Lu <yinghai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Also, my *gut* feel is that the new _handle_hotplug_event_root()
>> function should do that whole dance with
>> acpi_scan_lock_acquire()/acpi_scan_lock_release(), but I didn't really
>> know if it's required or appropriate, so I left it alone. Could you
>> take a look?
>
> Yes, we need that for root bridge hot add path.
>
> for hot remove path, we already have lock acquire/release in
> acpi_bus_hot_remove_device().
>
> Please check attached patch for hot add path.

Quite frankly, doing this in handle_root_bridge_insertion() doesn't
match the pattern elsewhere. Elsewhere you also protected the whole
acpi_get_name() lookup etc. Which is why I felt that it would make
more sense to add this to _handle_hotplug_event_root().

But there may be good reasons why the root bridge case is different,
and I don't have strong opinions, I just wanted people to look at his
case. I'll let you and Bjorn sort it out...

Linus