Re: New copyfile system call - discuss before LSF?

From: Eric Wong
Date: Fri Feb 22 2013 - 19:32:44 EST

"Myklebust, Trond" <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

splice() already has offset for both fds and a flags arg:

ssize_t splice(int fd_in, loff_t *off_in, int fd_out,
loff_t *off_out, size_t len, unsigned int flags);

The current downside is it requires one fd to be a pipe, so it's
just not very easy to use from my perspective[1].

> > We might also want to pre-emptively offer iovs instead of offsets, because
> > that's the very first thing that's going to be requested after people prototype
> > having to iterate calling sendfile() for each contiguous copy region.
>
> vpsendfile() then? I agree that might be a little more future-proof. Particularly given that the underlying protocols tend to be fully asynchronous, and so it makes sense to queue up more than one copy at a time...

splicev() might be nice to have in that case, too.

[1] my splice() annoyances:
* need to create/manage a pipe
* copy size limited by pipe size
* doesn't reduce userspace syscalls (just data copy overhead)
* easy to misuse and starve with blocking sockets + big buffers
* not many users, so bugs creep in (v3.7.8 was the first usable
version of the 3.7 series for TCP sockets)